Saturday 16 November 2013

A day in the life

On Thursday this week I was checking Facebook and realised that it was Laura from The Hollywood Housewife's "One Day" on Instagram. I had been keen on joining in, just because I figure it's fun to be a part of something bigger than us, sometimes. Here's the general idea:


So for the friends who thought I had completely and utterly lost my mind when I was posting photos of my dinner, now hopefully it all makes sense?! Because of the time difference and my baby-brain memory, I did mine on the 14.11.13 - the same day as people in America did it. Which made it really fun, because for a day I turned my instagram profile off private and had lots of people pop in and out because of the hashtag. (As an aside, I am Sarah_rific on Instagram, and if you are a real person and not someone trying to sell me something or posting scary pictures, I'll approve your follow!)

My day was a typical day in the life of a mother of 3 kids 5 and under. It was super-exhausting. It involved at least 2 tantrums from my 3 year old son. My husband was out most of the morning so I was doing the morning routine alone. I also had a head cold and wasn't feeling overjoyed about that day.

It was not glamourous. I didn't do anything special or out of the ordinary. I didn't spend time with anyone outside of my own family. But I'm really glad I have that day documented, now. Because why else would I take photos of nappy changes, snack times, car trips and joyous reunions as my husband arrives home? I really love talking to and spending time with women older than myself, whose children have left home, I love their wisdom and their perspective, but one of my pet peeves is that some of them (not all) seem to have genuinely forgotten just how hard and exhausting it is to parent little children. So much is expected of us as mums and I can't keep up - I can just never, ever keep up. But now if I ever have moments in twenty years time where I hear myself saying to a 30-something mum "Oh, these are the best years of your life! Make the most of each moment, it will be over before you know it!" - I can look back on these photos from this One Day, and remember what it was actually like. Exhausting. Messy. Kind of demoralising. And full of smiling, grimey little faces that I love with all my heart.
 xx Sarah




No comments:

Post a Comment